Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly Spring Craft for kids
We're continuing the spring craft theme today with a totally adorable Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly craft. So far spring this year has been quite cold for us and there is still a little snow clinging onto the yard. It's been somewhat depressing but yesterday there was a glimmer of hope that warmer weather is on it's way. The milder temperature for a few hours gave the air the smell of spring that we've been yearning for for months. It's been a really horrible winter.
Spring crafts are getting us ready for the return of spring. Green grass, birds chirping, butterflies fluttering about, we just can't wait. By the way, I know it's technically spring. Just waiting for the weather to catch up. My 5 year old and I had lots of fun making this butterfly. And we couldn't believe how cute it was when we were done.
What you need:
toilet paper roll
card stock in a variety of colours
(we got a pack of 50 pastel colours from the dollar store for $2)
- Decide on the colour for the body and cut a piece of card stock to fit around the toilet paper roll
- Cover the paper in glue and glue to the toilet paper roll
- Decide on colour for the wings and fold the piece of card stock in half. On the fold, mark the length of the roll with a 1/2 inch line. Then draw your wings and cut it out.
- There will now be a 1 inch strip down the center of the wings that you can cover in glue and attach to the back of your butterfly's body to cover the seam.
- Use different colours of the card stock and cut out shapes to glue to the wings. We did circles within circles.
- Take a green pipe cleaner and bend if half. Wrap each half around a pencil and then tape to the inside of the toilet paper roll.
- Glue on googly eyes (I used white glue for this) and draw on eyebrows and a smile with a black pencil crayon or fine tipped black marker.
And that's it! Sooo cute!
We added our butterfly to the wreath hanging on our front door. Love it!
If you have a kid friendly posts be sure to link up with me every Monday :)